The National Fire Protection Association recently celebrated its annual Fire Prevention Week, so we thought we would take the time to discuss chimney cleaning at your Garfield home and why is so important to the health and well being of you and your loved ones. What causes your chimney to become a fire hazard? And what does chimney cleaning do to help prevent a house fire?
When you use your fireplace, one of the byproducts that is left over is a material called creosote. This results when particles from the fire are not fully burned and the temperatures in the chimney drop after the fire is out. These particles condense and attach to the side of the chimney walls and form creosote. Creosote is a dark and sticky substance, and it can easily catch on fire and cause a great deal of damage to your home, possibly injuring you and your loved ones.
If a chimney fire breaks out, severe damage to the structure of the chimney can occur. If it continues to burn, the fire can get hot enough to melt metal. The chimney liner could burn as well. And if the fire still continues to burn past that, it will eventually makes its way down and into the rest of your house.
There are a few ways you can keep this from happening, so here are a few good rules of thumb to follow when using your chimney:
- Only burn wood that has been seasoned or dried out.
- Do not use gasoline, kerosene or another flammable liquid to start a fire in your chimney. You should only use clean newspaper or dry kindling.
- Do not burn cardboard, wrapping paper or the remnants of your Christmas tree.
- Try to burn large logs instead of small ones.
- Make sure you call us for regular chimney cleaning and inspections so we can make sure your chimney is as clean as possible. We can also make sure it’s not in need of any repair work.
With our chimney cleaning and inspection service, we can come to your home, take a look at your chimney and then clean it. The cleaning process will remove any creosote that has built up in the inside of your chimney, and it can help decrease the likelihood of a house fire that is caused by your chimney.
For more information on chimney cleaning in Garfield and the surrounding areas, call Guardian Chimney at 1-8886-688-1388 or Contact Us.